Passing

Col. Trautman
MVP

Re: Passing

Postby Col. Trautman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks! I will try in practice right away!

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:48 pm

The one catch I've been able to consistently ... somewhat consistently ... be able to trigger was the One handed overhead catch. By pressing up + E a bit ahead of time, the WR will jump and try to catch it one handed. It is quite unreliable, but it is the best definition of a highlight catch. Also, didn't knew that the Highlight Stick also allowed you to catch the ball. And it does allow you to. That's neat.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Here are some examples of the catches I mentioned above....I forgot to say that these same key combos work on the defensive side of the ball as well (as a few screenshots show my DB/FS using these same catch techniques)
Attachments
leap spin catch toe tap endzone.bmp
leap spin catch toe tap endzone.bmp (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
endzone or sideline style catch.bmp
endzone or sideline style catch.bmp (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
dart pass against the grain.bmp
dart pass against the grain.bmp (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 pm

some more catches.....
Attachments
over the shoulder catch (defense).bmp
over the shoulder catch (defense).bmp (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
lob over defender 30 yrd pass.bmp
lob over defender 30 yrd pass.bmp (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
leaping spin catch...(defense again).bmp
leaping spin catch...(defense again).bmp (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 pm

yea the playmaker catch button is not very reliable for making catches (but its good when you need a miracle catch with under a minute left in the game lol)...i recommend using the arrow key combos to catch the ball as you can get a better catch rate compared to the playmaker catches....

the against the grain throw with mariota throwing to a RB flat route after a fake play action run....is to show how even the "don't ever throw against the grain type of throw can be made with arrow keys and aiming your throw...the play resulted in a TD after I spun a few defenders out of the way for 25 yards to the endzone....

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Col. Trautman wrote:Thanks! I will try in practice right away!

np glad i could help! :)

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:57 pm

jose21crisis wrote:The one catch I've been able to consistently ... somewhat consistently ... be able to trigger was the One handed overhead catch. By pressing up + E a bit ahead of time, the WR will jump and try to catch it one handed. It is quite unreliable, but it is the best definition of a highlight catch. Also, didn't knew that the Highlight Stick also allowed you to catch the ball. And it does allow you to. That's neat.

Yea its very unreliable and also very hard to trigger as you mentioned....the best time to get it work though is near the sideline or corners of the endzone....esp the endzone is a place where you really get it to work well....the sideline is a bit trickier to execute....

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 pm

forgot to mention.....that if you're fast enough....once you catch the ball on the back endzone line if you press the highlight stick + down arrow = you can tap your toes in for a touchdown....

same with the sideline.....press highlight (shift) + opposite direction of sideline (say running left sideline you would press the right arrow key) to tap your toes inbounds...

Bengals_18
Rookie

Postby Bengals_18 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:28 am

ultimatum77 wrote:
Bengals_18 wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:
I suggest you look at my posts on "is the fade route able to be completed" the 1st page provides my suggestions and a screenshot tutorial.....although it is for a fade pass/lob within 20 yards the same keys work....you just aim your throw deep (up arrow plus direction arrow like left if your wr is on left of LOS...and then light tap the S or whatever wr's button is.......it will lob it up there.....

if i have some spare time later this week I will try to do a tutorial on that but I think the fade route tutorial will work just as well (same key combinations) and the only difference being deeper than 15-20 yards pass wise....

once you learn how to throw the lob/fade you will become a very effective passer...I complete on average 6-7 out of 10 lob passes I make in a game on all-madden default sliders no catch or pass assists.....and threw no interceptions and 5200 yrds passing in franchise mode with mariota at qb...lol.....

the key is using the up arrow mostly and also aiming your throw (note this is not with the vision cone although pre-snap highlighting a playmaker wr will have the cone already positioned on the your intended wr leading to a higher chance of getting a completion with a more accurate throw using the cone/highlighted wr.....

Hi!

I have a few questions about the controls, since you seem to know how the game works :)
Do you really need to press the up and (left/right) arrows for lobbing a pass?
I know how to make a 1 handed catch and a diving one, do you know anything else (maybe with your magic arrows :D)?
Also, do you know what that button is where the screen shows the 4 arrows and theres a bigger green arrow 'inside' it?
With which button do you make the qb slide? I read the description in the madden scripts, but it seems there isnt a button-combination that works for me, and my qb almost always fumbles :/
Also, the special moves like hurdles (Dpad+right analog stick up it hink) and these kind of moves doesnt work for me. When i press the 'shift' key, it does any kind of move that fits the situation including hurdles, trucking, juking (basically anything) but its pretty boring since i didnt select the moves myself.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes you need to press left and right arrows respectively to lob a pass....if you're lobbing to the middle just up arrow only along with the wr button....(say like on an inside post route across the middle....but to make a catch and run (yac) you should throw on the run its more effective for yac....but dont use the lob when running throw a gun /dart pass and take it to the house!

use up arrow and E button (my catch button on my keyboard setup) to catch overhead (say a pass is thrown over your head and you need to get up there just E button plus up arrow (or another option is take control of the WR and press the playmaker/highlight (shift plus up arrow) to catch the overhead pass

to catch a sideline pass press E but press the opposite button away from the sideline (say your wr is runniing to the right sideline or right edge of the endzone....you would press E plus the LEFT arrow key (opposite direction) to stay in bounds and not get an incompletion....same applies the other way if your running to the left sideline press E and then the right arrow key

same with if your in the back of the endzone....press E and down arrow key to stay inbounds (better option is to turn the WR towards the ball and do this but you can make TD's using this E and down arrow combo as well

to do a leaping catch....take control of the wr....press E + up arrow plus direction of the throw (say a 30 yrd deep pass to the left sideline then you would choose the left arrow as the last key) the WR will do a spinning leap catch....

for catching an overthrown ball ....take control of wr sprint button then E button to catch...if its a slighlty overthrown ball but your wr is running ....let him keep running then take control of Wr +E button + up arrow+ direction of the throw....

to do a over the shoulder catch press E + down arrow + direction of throw arrow key ( you wont get yac with this but you can at least get a 1st down if you have a curl route for example in effect)

I am not sure of the screen arrow button but I think it is G (sorry I don't like screen plays and avoid them like the plague lol)

FOr qb slide.....break the line of scrimmage of course and then DOwn arrow + S ( s being the dive key as well when you run with qb or hb)

when running.....
SHIFT + E button (shift being the playmaker button) will help you hurdle over a defender...

also SHIFT plus up arrow helps hurdle.....or break tackle straight ahead...maybe to hurdle press an E in combo as well
Shift plus down arrow - has the defender slide off your back (aka your player takes out the defender's legs)
Shift plus left or right is a hard juke move (lateral juke not the stutter step small juke kind)
shift plus G or A gives a hard breaktackle stiff arm

hope this helps im doing this straight off memory so some key combos may be wrong (tried my best lol) but most of this will work....

if you have any other ones ask I may know of them but just forgot to list them here.;..

also DROP the gamepad bengals18son!(said in mr.miyagi voice) the keyboard is a true computer gamer's paradise esp in madden :D lol ...im just kidding man....but seriously you can do a lot more moves and more reliable on a keyboard compared to a gamepad/dpad which has to process all the inputs to different moves whereas keyboard has the moves on certain key combos only and doesn't have to decrypt what move you meant (hope that made sense .;..but just meaning the keyboard has a lot more combos and is more reliable for playing moves than the Dpad where the moves are just stuck to 6-7 keys.....

to try out these key combos i recommend going to practice mode (both off and def present) and trying them out....

also some of the arrow key combos work best if they are pressed really close together or simulatneously ...again they dont need to be mashed but just press it together as close as possible time wise...

hope this helps...i wrote this pretty fast so ignore all the misspellings lol....and try it out ! - u77

Wow, thanks for the reply, im gonna try out all of these :) I use only my keyboard, its just in the script description the button combinations are seen as for the right analog stick, etc...
By the screen i didnt mean screen pass, i meant that befor the snap buttons show up at the right side of the screen, and there is a 'button' where you can see the four arrows and basically there is a huge up arrow in green over them, and this button i dont dont which is it. But i think you have answered all of my questionable moves, se thanks again :) I'll let you know if i cant figure out something

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:40 am

Bengals_18 wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:
Bengals_18 wrote:
Hi!

I have a few questions about the controls, since you seem to know how the game works :)
Do you really need to press the up and (left/right) arrows for lobbing a pass?
I know how to make a 1 handed catch and a diving one, do you know anything else (maybe with your magic arrows :D)?
Also, do you know what that button is where the screen shows the 4 arrows and theres a bigger green arrow 'inside' it?
With which button do you make the qb slide? I read the description in the madden scripts, but it seems there isnt a button-combination that works for me, and my qb almost always fumbles :/
Also, the special moves like hurdles (Dpad+right analog stick up it hink) and these kind of moves doesnt work for me. When i press the 'shift' key, it does any kind of move that fits the situation including hurdles, trucking, juking (basically anything) but its pretty boring since i didnt select the moves myself.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes you need to press left and right arrows respectively to lob a pass....if you're lobbing to the middle just up arrow only along with the wr button....(say like on an inside post route across the middle....but to make a catch and run (yac) you should throw on the run its more effective for yac....but dont use the lob when running throw a gun /dart pass and take it to the house!

use up arrow and E button (my catch button on my keyboard setup) to catch overhead (say a pass is thrown over your head and you need to get up there just E button plus up arrow (or another option is take control of the WR and press the playmaker/highlight (shift plus up arrow) to catch the overhead pass

to catch a sideline pass press E but press the opposite button away from the sideline (say your wr is runniing to the right sideline or right edge of the endzone....you would press E plus the LEFT arrow key (opposite direction) to stay in bounds and not get an incompletion....same applies the other way if your running to the left sideline press E and then the right arrow key

same with if your in the back of the endzone....press E and down arrow key to stay inbounds (better option is to turn the WR towards the ball and do this but you can make TD's using this E and down arrow combo as well

to do a leaping catch....take control of the wr....press E + up arrow plus direction of the throw (say a 30 yrd deep pass to the left sideline then you would choose the left arrow as the last key) the WR will do a spinning leap catch....

for catching an overthrown ball ....take control of wr sprint button then E button to catch...if its a slighlty overthrown ball but your wr is running ....let him keep running then take control of Wr +E button + up arrow+ direction of the throw....

to do a over the shoulder catch press E + down arrow + direction of throw arrow key ( you wont get yac with this but you can at least get a 1st down if you have a curl route for example in effect)

I am not sure of the screen arrow button but I think it is G (sorry I don't like screen plays and avoid them like the plague lol)

FOr qb slide.....break the line of scrimmage of course and then DOwn arrow + S ( s being the dive key as well when you run with qb or hb)

when running.....
SHIFT + E button (shift being the playmaker button) will help you hurdle over a defender...

also SHIFT plus up arrow helps hurdle.....or break tackle straight ahead...maybe to hurdle press an E in combo as well
Shift plus down arrow - has the defender slide off your back (aka your player takes out the defender's legs)
Shift plus left or right is a hard juke move (lateral juke not the stutter step small juke kind)
shift plus G or A gives a hard breaktackle stiff arm

hope this helps im doing this straight off memory so some key combos may be wrong (tried my best lol) but most of this will work....

if you have any other ones ask I may know of them but just forgot to list them here.;..

also DROP the gamepad bengals18son!(said in mr.miyagi voice) the keyboard is a true computer gamer's paradise esp in madden :D lol ...im just kidding man....but seriously you can do a lot more moves and more reliable on a keyboard compared to a gamepad/dpad which has to process all the inputs to different moves whereas keyboard has the moves on certain key combos only and doesn't have to decrypt what move you meant (hope that made sense .;..but just meaning the keyboard has a lot more combos and is more reliable for playing moves than the Dpad where the moves are just stuck to 6-7 keys.....

to try out these key combos i recommend going to practice mode (both off and def present) and trying them out....

also some of the arrow key combos work best if they are pressed really close together or simulatneously ...again they dont need to be mashed but just press it together as close as possible time wise...

hope this helps...i wrote this pretty fast so ignore all the misspellings lol....and try it out ! - u77

Wow, thanks for the reply, im gonna try out all of these :) I use only my keyboard, its just in the script description the button combinations are seen as for the right analog stick, etc...
By the screen i didnt mean screen pass, i meant that befor the snap buttons show up at the right side of the screen, and there is a 'button' where you can see the four arrows and basically there is a huge up arrow in green over them, and this button i dont dont which is it. But i think you have answered all of my questionable moves, se thanks again :) I'll let you know if i cant figure out something

I vaguely remember seeing it....im pretty sure it has something to do with the Offensive or Defensive line...where they crowd in to block better on offense and on defense you can spread the dlinemen out a bit along the LOS...

oh wait now I remember....it is for "formation shift" where you can basically rearrange/customize your play/routes....say you're in shotgun but you notice the defense is playing a dime or quarter defense...and you want to change to an I form flats play to hit your rb/fb with a flat route pass underneath and take advantage of the deep coverage and lack of presence near the LOS.....

you get up to the line and hit the E button (audible) then hit one of the arrow keys....up down left or right it doesn't matter it will adjust the formation to which direction you want....again I have only used this like 3 times but that is what it is for.....also it helps to rearrange formation so that you get better blocking from TE and O linemen....(as mentioned above)....hope this helps! - u77

Return to “FAQs”