XBOX ONE controller on MADDEN 08 PC

GunstarN1ckel
Veteran

Postby GunstarN1ckel » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Let me start off by saying that there is little-to-no information about this topic on the web with the exception of one or two comments in various threads on this forum. It definitely warrants a dedicated discussion.
*** NOTE: The method below will work for wired connections (USB) to the Xbox One controllers as well as WIRELESS connections via the licensed M$ adapter.

THE XBOX ONE CONTROLLER CAN BE USED WITH MADDEN 08 PC.

So what we're going to be doing is fooling a pre-xbox one game module into recognizing a device which was non-existent when it was released. Everyone here knows and understands that the XBOX 360 controllers and XBOX One controllers are fairly identical right? "Right..." :roll:

So here's the short version, and I'm not going to get into the long, extensive, list of failed attempts at resolving this which I've performed.

1. Do the registry edit. You're going to go to run> "regedit", or otherwise open your windows 7/vista/8/8.1/10 registry. BE ADVISED. Should you modify the wrong file here, or accidentally delete something, you could do serious damage to the infrastructure of your operating system.
- Go to FIND (Ctrl + F) "OEMName". This is the generic Microsoft registry name for the XBOX One controllers.
- Modify OEMName's value to "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows". It probably looked something like "Controller (XBOX One For Windows)" before.
*** NOTE: There's at least three variations of that phrase in parenthesis which work for most games. This one worked for me.
*** Note2: You're not RENAMING "OEMName", you're right clicking> Modify value, and pasting "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows" without the parenthesis, and then saving. You will do this for the new folders in this directory which spawn with new controller connects as well.

2. Boot the controllers before Madden 08's mainapp.exe, then on the bottom right of the dashboard go to File>Profile>Controllers... You get it. You should see options for Keyboard, Keyboard + Mouse, and "Xbox 360 Controller". Guess which one you want? :shock:

3. When you're scrolling through play menus, simply hold the Left Trigger. In the STANDARD configuration, once you've selected a play, you'll notice that the sidebars (options & audibles etc) are forced onto the screen for each controller player after you're on the field. This function will be negated by simply pressing the Left Trigger half way and releasing it. Once those menus disappear, the Left Trigger will no longer interfere with your gameplay. (At least not as far as I've noticed).

So as sad as I am to report that I have had ZERO success in disabling the analog functions through drivers and calibration :cry: , it's actually 100% playable with the Xbox One controller if you can understand these two points. (At least in two weeks' gameplay I haven't found it to impede anything).

Hope this saves some googlers a headache (and Yes, I'm using Windows 8.1 with the iso-disc version, and it worked before I installed the FF XV mods). This modification appears to NOT affect games which recognize the Xbox-One controller itself. Also, for you OCD cats, this method is highly advantageous over an alternative joypad configuration file mod or xpadder etc as it will display the corresponding buttons on the screen nice and professionally.
Something Something Sandstorm.

Sponsor

Sponsor

GunstarN1ckel
Veteran

Re: XBOX ONE controller on MADDEN 08 PC

Postby GunstarN1ckel » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:25 pm

Actually, "OEMName" is the default registry entry for a lot of controller devices. In this scenario, if you're only accustomed to using these controllers, that will be your quickest way to search the registry database.

If you've got a very slow processor and/or a large hard drive this could take a while. Searching "OEMName" I found mine in 2 seconds on an i74510U and 256gb SSD.
Something Something Sandstorm.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks for posting this. I might buy an Xbox One Controller for PC, now that I know I can use it with Madden.

Houston1010
Rookie

Postby Houston1010 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 pm

This didn't work for me. Using an Xbox one controller and did the registry edit, plugged the controller in before booting Madden08 and there's no option so select a controller once in game.

beauforsure
Veteran

Postby beauforsure » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:04 am

i got this to work fine. a few days ago. you have to follow the directions to a tee . and i didnt need to use #3 on the list. once i switched the name i rebooted Madden and went to switch to controller and the 360 icons popped up fine.

Lil_Wink
Rookie

Postby Lil_Wink » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:16 pm

I got it to work as well, but under "Profiles" it just displays "Gamepad" and not "xbox 360", now i have to switch every single control around. Is there an easier way to fix this?

bayoubengal33
Rookie

Postby bayoubengal33 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Lil_Wink wrote:I got it to work as well, but under "Profiles" it just displays "Gamepad" and not "xbox 360", now i have to switch every single control around. Is there an easier way to fix this?

Yeah I got mine to work with it to. It is definitely a pain in the butt to have to reassign buttons in every game mode. the thing i hate the most is that the game wont recognize the LT, RT, or Analog buttons.

TR71777
Rookie

Postby TR71777 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:27 am

GunstarN1ckel wrote:Let me start off by saying that there is little-to-no information about this topic on the web with the exception of one or two comments in various threads on this forum. It definitely warrants a dedicated discussion.
*** NOTE: The method below will work for wired connections (USB) to the Xbox One controllers as well as WIRELESS connections via the licensed M$ adapter.

THE XBOX ONE CONTROLLER CAN BE USED WITH MADDEN 08 PC.

So what we're going to be doing is fooling a pre-xbox one game module into recognizing a device which was non-existent when it was released. Everyone here knows and understands that the XBOX 360 controllers and XBOX One controllers are fairly identical right? "Right..." :roll:

So here's the short version, and I'm not going to get into the long, extensive, list of failed attempts at resolving this which I've performed.

1. Do the registry edit. You're going to go to run> "regedit", or otherwise open your windows 7/vista/8/8.1/10 registry. BE ADVISED. Should you modify the wrong file here, or accidentally delete something, you could do serious damage to the infrastructure of your operating system.
- Go to FIND (Ctrl + F) "OEMName". This is the generic Microsoft registry name for the XBOX One controllers.
- Modify OEMName's value to "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows". It probably looked something like "Controller (XBOX One For Windows)" before.
*** NOTE: There's at least three variations of that phrase in parenthesis which work for most games. This one worked for me.
*** Note2: You're not RENAMING "OEMName", you're right clicking> Modify value, and pasting "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows" without the parenthesis, and then saving. You will do this for the new folders in this directory which spawn with new controller connects as well.

2. Boot the controllers before Madden 08's mainapp.exe, then on the bottom right of the dashboard go to File>Profile>Controllers... You get it. You should see options for Keyboard, Keyboard + Mouse, and "Xbox 360 Controller". Guess which one you want? :shock:

3. When you're scrolling through play menus, simply hold the Left Trigger. In the STANDARD configuration, once you've selected a play, you'll notice that the sidebars (options & audibles etc) are forced onto the screen for each controller player after you're on the field. This function will be negated by simply pressing the Left Trigger half way and releasing it. Once those menus disappear, the Left Trigger will no longer interfere with your gameplay. (At least not as far as I've noticed).

So as sad as I am to report that I have had ZERO success in disabling the analog functions through drivers and calibration :cry: , it's actually 100% playable with the Xbox One controller if you can understand these two points. (At least in two weeks' gameplay I haven't found it to impede anything).

Hope this saves some googlers a headache (and Yes, I'm using Windows 8.1 with the iso-disc version, and it worked before I installed the FF XV mods). This modification appears to NOT affect games which recognize the Xbox-One controller itself. Also, for you OCD cats, this method is highly advantageous over an alternative joypad configuration file mod or xpadder etc as it will display the corresponding buttons on the screen nice and professionally.

hey I am new on here but I have a ROCK CANDY XBOX 360 controller and sadly I do have a cracked version of madden 08 my xbox 360 controller isn't registering on the game at all jus my mouse? and there is no options for the controller set up either on the game I got the game just to keep me going till I get my xbox one out of pawn to play madden 17 but anyways I need help getting the xbox 360 controller to work for the game please help thanks and god speed

Return to “FAQs”